Thursday, August 7, 2008

Nature

Today I had an opportunity to go to the Morton Arboretum. It was nice to get away from downtown and experience a little nature.


They have several miles of paths around various wildflowers, shrubs, and trees. We didn't have nearly enough time to see it all, but Chris, Nate and I took about a 5 mile hike around one of the paths. It was a nice relaxing walk through the woods. It recharged my spirit, and reminded me I need to get out of the city more.

I'm sure this place is beautiful in the Spring when most of the flowers and trees are blooming, and also in the fall when the trees are turning different colors when losing their leaves. However, the beauty of summer is often underappreciated when compared to those seasons. (Winter too, although that's another post.)


Getting away from the trappings of the city provided an opportunity to appreciate the wonder of life and get a litle bit of quiet - we still had the highway nearby and some planes overhead that broke some of the peace.


Each time I go into a wooded area, I can't help but think of the First Vision of Joseph Smith. His testimony of the events that transpired there strengthens my own testimony of the restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

We didn't see many animals on the hike, except for a few insects. On the whole, the butterflies were much more welcome and pleasant than the mosquitos.

Anyway, it was a fun trip. If anyone wants to go visit, I'm more than willing to go back!

1 comment:

Serena said...

I love the pictures! They make me miss the green of summer. If I am ever out that way again, I would love to visit.