Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Sleep

I have a lot of pics from the past weekend and the botanical garden, but I'm going to wait until I can sort through them to get the best ones. But I have had some thoughts the last couple of days about sleep.

I have often wondered if something was wrong with me because I don't really enjoy sleep or going to sleep. It's one of those necessary things that you have to do in life. A lot of times I am fighting to stay awake, for no real reason at all - like I'm a 4-year-old who wants to stay up past his bedtime. I love the quote by Lemony Snicket, "It is one of life's bitterest truths that bedtime so often arrives just when things are really getting interesting."

On my mission I had a companion who loved to sleep and stay in bed all morning on P-day. I was ready to get out of bed and get laundry started so we could get out of the house by nine so we could get our errands done by ten. I could never understand why he wanted to lay in bed all morning and not just get everything done for the day. This past Sunday afternoon, Nate and I were at Gillian and Dan's. About 2 pm, I realized I was the only one left awake, and I was tired from the day before, so I lay down for a nap along with everyone else. I shut my eyes and lay there for about 15 minutes, never falling asleep, but I was refreshed and recharged and everyone else was pretty much still out cold.

I love waking up in the morning at or before daybreak to enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells of a new day. You have a whole new day of possibilities and never know what might happen, even if your plan isn't really different from the day before.

At night, even if I'm tired, I still feel like there is more to learn out of the day and even if I don't get home until after 2, I still need to read a few pages or do a Sudoku or Crossword puzzle. If you notice, even though it has been a busy day, I'm still up at 1 getting some thoughts our while watching Olympic volleyball.

So, like most of my posts, this doesn't really have a point or a good conclusion (I'm working on those). But if someone can explain the joy of sleep to me, maybe I can begin to understand some of you.

1 comment:

m and a said...

I don't like to go to bed either. And although I do like to get up early, some days I wish I could lay in bed just a little longer. Maybe it's different when you chose to get up early, instead of have to get up because your kds are. I rarely take naps, even when I'm exhausted.